Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #71 (permalink)
Beating EPA Unmodded

Blue Eagle - '10 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)
I do what you do Mech, fluctuate my speed to encourage them to "pass this idiot". Usually this is doing pulse&DFCO, going to 45 down to 30 or so, then they should be long past me. If I don't feel like doing that, then I just slow down to 37ish and they decide that I'm not worth it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-30-2015, 09:32 PM   #72 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
When someone starts tailgating me I just let my speed vary enough to get them to pass. Since most of the roads I drive are 4 lanes it usually does not become an issue. On two lane roads I just P&G if they want to follow too close.

I have had them pass me in some dangerous and illegal places, but if they pass I just shift to neutral and let them get by with as little drama as possible.

I've had a couple that were so oblivious to anything other than staying 2-3 car lengths behind me, on a 4 lane highway with no other traffic close, that I coasted from the speed limit (45mph) down to below 25 before they finally went around me.

One nice thing about coasting, while idiots will blow by you only to slam on their brakes at the red light 200 yards ahead, at least the coasting reduces the chance of them actually running into your rear end.

regards
mech
Yep, I do the same thing. I find brake checking people only entices mpg hurting road rage, so it's just easier (and more mpg friendly) to just slow down and let them pass.

Once I get front and rear push bumpers on the Mustang however... That will be a different story.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:02 AM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Magnum - '03 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
90 day: 11.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
When someone starts tailgating me I just let my speed vary enough to get them to pass. Since most of the roads I drive are 4 lanes it usually does not become an issue. On two lane roads I just P&G if they want to follow too close.

I have had them pass me in some dangerous and illegal places, but if they pass I just shift to neutral and let them get by with as little drama as possible.

I've had a couple that were so oblivious to anything other than staying 2-3 car lengths behind me, on a 4 lane highway with no other traffic close, that I coasted from the speed limit (45mph) down to below 25 before they finally went around me.

One nice thing about coasting, while idiots will blow by you only to slam on their brakes at the red light 200 yards ahead, at least the coasting reduces the chance of them actually running into your rear end.

regards
mech
I normally tap my brake pedal like a madman to make them think I'm panic braking (not enough to engage but enough to turn the brake lights on, pedal triggers them if even lightly touched) and if that fails I just let off the gas until they realize we are moving 20 in a 45 and blow by in the other lane lol! O yeah! Two days ago the roads here were very bad and I was moving 35 in the 55 section of my daily drive due to drifting snow and ice and bad visibility and slight rain mixed in with the snow....you get the point. Well I was in 4x4 lock with the rear diff also locked and being careful as I know the banked turns around where I am turn into giant slides and this honda accord is just TAILING MY @$$ like 15 ft and moving into the other lane to try to see though the snow if there was a place to pass me! She eventually got so pissed off I was 20 under she tried to blow past me and spun out, you would think when you are following a huge truck that is acting very cautious in bad weather one would slow down but apparently she must have thought her accord was super-mega non-slip FWD magic. I normally recover anyone I find on my drive who has fallen off the road or is out of gas with the recovery gear I carry with me but since she was acting like a b**** she got left in the ditch, I did however call it in on CH9 and someone got to her about 10 min after that (no reason to be totally mean....) I will admit its HILARIOUS to brake check someone in a 55 by dropping 20mph in one second....they back right the hell off but I don't do this anymore with the big brakes as this probably would make them rear-end me.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:13 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I'm too old and too armed to be enticing any kind of conflict. In order to get me to fight you will have to chase me into a corner _______________________________________
and when you succeed don't expect any consideration for YOU on my part.
There won't be any because you don't deserve any.
Game, Set, Match, one YOU do not want to play with ME.

Now just leave me the $%^&* alone and let me drive the speed limit.

Now I just need to learn to not get mad at stupid, no reason to waste that much anger on nothing.

regards
mech
Old 01-31-2015, 09:07 PM   #75 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Anyone see this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	offense.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	16873  
Old 02-01-2015, 12:56 AM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Anyone see this?
I feel like I know where this is from....
Old 02-01-2015, 01:28 AM   #77 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Anyone see this?
I have seen that a couple times. Never ceases to make me audibly laugh.

Today I had a white crown vic tailgate me, like a couple inches off my bumper. Oh wait, that was my friend after I beat him in a race with my Stang. Heheheh

Old 02-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
* I will probably change my mind when Its nice out and I visit cowmeat for my first ride in a hybrid...
Whatcha waiting for, Dave? It's gonna be in the mid seventies today!

Last edited by cowmeat; 02-01-2015 at 08:33 AM..
Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Whatcha waiting for, Dave? It's gonna be in the mid seventies today!
LUCKY! its like 22 over here and slush and snow everywhere!
Old 02-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fuel log for that tank is up

Reply  Post New Thread