View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #242 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Did using the WAI improve your average mpg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
How's your MPG at the pump?
Funny you should ask... I just got home from the pump... 59.65mpg, which historically is below normal for my car. But that's not the way to reads the number because I have been reporting in my fuel log for a month or two that I have scaled back my hypermiling. FWIW, this tank is higher than the last, and the wheel skirts and WAI only were installed on the last half of the tank. Though, that does not prove the mods are the reason for the increase. No "post hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy here!

On the AFR reading... if I understand, even though my UG is saying 6.2% lean long term fuel trim, the car is running at stoich but the injectors are pulsing for shorter durations than the OEM fuel tables normally would have them pulse. That last phrase is the key, because it means I am at stoich and using less fuel than normal. All the throttling and pumping losses reduction benefits are presumably still real. It is both less fuel and lower pumping losses (theoretically). Got it. Thx.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.