View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
kv1
EcoModding Lurker

@drainoil thanks! I found a really good guy on craigslist who is a pro who is willing to work with me and do it (I am paying him of course).

Regarding licensing, I read this on the following post (Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Quote:
"This is NOT true. I have talked with a ref for the San Bernardino county. He told me on "PRE"-98 they do not smog diesels. Do the swap......DO NOT use an industrial diesel. Make an appointment with a ref,they will verify it and change the title. DONE. I am going to be eventually putting a 6.2 diesel in my '88 Wagoneer.....same thing I just said above.. "

"The engine used must still be from the same class of vehicle. Your k20 can use any diesel from a 3/4 ton vehicle that is the same or newer year as your k20. The engine still has to have any emission equipment on it that it originally had in whatever vehicle its from.

"Easiest" thing to do to get the registration changed to diesel is get a running 6.2 or 6.5, bolt it in, get the change made to the reg and then if you're not happy with the engine, put whatever you want in it.

Manimal, for your Wagoneer, find the thread that Budojeeper has on IFSJA. He put a 6.2 in an early 80's waggy. Spent a long time getting it thru the ref in the Bay area. Lots of good details."

Do I need to know the VIN of the donor vehicle? What else do I need? the VIN of my vehicle?