View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 02:24 AM   #28 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
HIDS cost how much in lost mpg?
It isn't even measurable. Saving 30 watts with HIDs might boost MPG by 1/2 of 1%. That said, my car has a limited EV mode, and every watt saved boosts the distance I can travel on a charge. After I switch out all of my lights with LED, I might save 100 electrical watts. If we assume the alternator is 50% efficient, then I save 200 mechanical watts, or about 1/4 horsepower.

While it might take 10 years for me to recoup the cost in fuel, I benefit from higher bulb life hours, better lighting, and longer EV run time.

Quote:
Again, 'more' light is not correct light or better light.
In my case, more light did equal better light. I can see much better, and the pattern and color is very useful in my ability to see at night. It's no longer an intellectual exercise for me to consider halogen vs HID on my car, because I have experienced both.

I'll agree with you that more is not always better, and that some reflectors are not good at distributing HID light properly. Today I just removed the HID kit in the Camry that has a reflector designed for a halogen. The light, while brighter, is cast all over the place and annoy oncoming drivers. Because it's cast everywhere, it doesn't improve driving visibility enough to justify their use.

Quote:
I am also confused. Above you say that HIDs run on 'thousands of volts' yet....as if by magic ......your's run 'at 40 watts, which only saved me 15 watts.' ??????????
Watts = volts x amps

Voltage can be increased at the loss of amps through a transformer, which is what the HID ballast does. HIDs require an initial 25,000 volts to ignite, and afterwards requires 80 volts. For the first fraction of a second, the wattage does spike, but quickly settles down to about 40 watts.

Halogen lamps also have a spike in wattage when first started, but it isn't quite as dramatic as HID.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!