View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
BabyDiesel
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
1988 Chevy K5 Blazer build - An unorthodox approach

I am finally posting up this love of mine the ball is finally starting to roll with regards to getting it back out on the road. Here is a picture -

It is the only one I have at the moment. I miss this beast... been down with a blown motor for over 2 years

Here are some stats on the K5:

350 TBI engine, stock but blown
700r4 transmission, stock & needs rebuild
3.73 gears
1/2 ton open axles
5200 lb. weight
~0.6 Cd

By the title, you know that I am planning something slightly unorthodox. But what is it

I want to build a Miller/Atkinson cycle SBC
Why? for better fuel mileage of course!

If you have ever heard of the Crower Mileage Maker system, then you done and know what I am attempting to recreate. For those that do not, the Crower Mileage Maker system came about in the late 70's to early 80's. The system utilized high compression (some say as high as 17:1!) and late intake valve closing, thereby bleeding off cylinder pressure. You are left with with less of a dynamic compression ratio, but the expansion ratio and efficiency are greatly improved. This is similar to what is going on with the Prius and SkyActive Mazda engines.

I have plans for either a 355 or a 400-406 small block. Flat top pistons are to be used because personal research has shown that flat tops promote better flame travel than domed pistons. Which is critical for good combustion. I plan to use either one of these heads -

193 TBI heads; 64cc

350 Vortec heads; 64cc

305 Vortec heads; 53-58cc

Some aluminum Corvette heads on CL; 58cc

All the above heads have 160-180cc intake ports to keep air velocity up for more atominization of fuel particles and low-end torque. The combustion chamber of all these heads will keep the compression up and promotes better burn. If needed, the heads will receive a mild port and polish.

From using CSG's compression calculator, a 355 (0.030 overbore) with a compressed head gasket thickness of 0.035 with 0 dish and 0 deck clearance have the following compression ratios:

53cc - 13.06
58cc - 12.14
64cc - 11.2

A 406 (0.030 overbore) will have:

53cc - 15.43
58cc - 14.35
64cc - 13.24

All of which seem to be able to work... except the 53cc's on the 406 lol.

I have not worked out the specs for the camshaft. I know that the dynamic compression ratio will have to be greatly reduced in order to run 87 octane. If anybody has the slightest idea, I would love you to pieces to share your wisdom! I will have Crower or Elgin do me a custom cam.

This is all I have as of now. Trying to type this up before class has got me slightly scatterbrained and I know it seems like I jumping all over the place. I get excited thinking about the possibilities

If anyone has any questions, objections, praises for wanting to try this out, or reason for not doing this, feel free to post away. I'm thick skinned and can take any heat y'all provide

Let the discussion and build begin

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyDiesel For This Useful Post:
JRMichler (02-06-2015)