View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
BabyDiesel
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
I have just sent an e-mail to Crower asking for information on the camshaft specs. Here is the message -

"Good afternoon Crowder Cams! I am looking for information on the camshaft that came with the Crower Mileage System back in the late 70's - early 80's. If by chance the person reading this does not know what I am talking about, could they please ask around and see if someone might know? If the information can be collected, I will be buying a custom ground camshaft from Crower in the near future. Thank you and have a blessed day!"

Hopefully the declaration of giving them my cash will produce desirable results

JRMichler - The EPA estimates for a 1988 K5 Blazer are 11 city/16 highway with a combined average of 13. I do remember that my tanks averaged 14.25 - 14.75 with country driving. This is without knowing anything about eco-driving and having an occasional pedal-metal moment Best tank ever was 16.7 mpg (55-60 straight trip from Greensboro, NC to Four Oaks, NC. Minimal stops). I am with you with needing less power. The math says I will have 4.3 V6 power, with slightly more torque. I can deal with that with better FE!

Big Dave - You know exactly what I am going for The LSx swap is a verryyy tantalizing option that I have considered and even had suggested. It just is not viable at this point. I am a student and money is tight, so I am stuck working with what I have which isn't exactly too bad. I would love more gears (ahem, new 8-speed auto) though one place the 700r4 shines is its ability to coast long distances.

Case in point, my mama's Trailblazer (4.2, 4L60E, 4x4) will coast farther in gear than my ZX2 will in neutral! Coasting ability is what has net me the biggest gains so far. I know the TBR is "slippier" than the K5, but it is still a barn with curved corners

I had not thought about the 4x2 option, nor the ability to put an AeroCap on the Blazer! I will try to see what I can do in stock form and go from there in the future. Off-roading would suck with a torqueless motor... if it wasn't for 4-lo! That should compensate the loss of off-idle torque considerable. Almost 2:1 more torque multiplication.

And I will be glad to hear of your astonishment after you read what kind of FE I orginally got

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr