View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #33 (permalink)
larrybuck
Master EcoModder

As a person who travels both by CRX ( I'm a triple 1987owner now,1 DX,2 HF), and large rigs that I often drive for 2 or 3 states, I see both sides of the counter so to speak.
Most modern vehicles always have at least some semblance of headlights on automatically. I understand the comment of not sure to receive a flash to merge or DID that car behind just hit a bump?
The trucks I generally deliver are new enough that headlights can not be turned off even at the weigh scales when there are signs stating to do so!!!
So flashing brights to let in one ahead nearly unavoidable. The key is the timing to not overdo it! About half WANT to wait to lane change until both of my headlights are observed in their mirrors, and the other half want to cut in about 1 1/2 car lengths!!!

I'm sure that on a rainy night, a trucker would appreciate help when to lane change.

Many times I am delivering a truck w/o a load, so I am constantly passing big rigs.
Mostly the car traffic will be in little packs about a mile apart. Since often, MY cruising speed is only 3-5 mph faster than them, I will patiently wait for 5-6 cars to go by before passing not to hold the show up.
It does flame me to see a trucker who is only looking to improve his speed by 2 mph over who he wants to pass pull out right in front of 6 cars closing as a gradual rise uphill takes place on the freeway which turns it into the NOWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One pet peeve I have no matter what I'm driving is WHY does someone who passes me have to nearly take the front of my vehicle off when they lane change when there is NOT A VEHICLE behind them for 3 miles????????????

I hope to be using wink type mirrors in the near future. It is too bad they are not made w a day/night feature. I have a couple of old plastic tinted patches bought from JC Whitney years back to help w headlight glare. They just stick on static wise, no moisture, or suction cups needed. The problem is I don't know who still sells like stuff.
I would cut mine up to fit the different blocks of the WINK, and just put them in the glove box during the day. The switchover would take maybe 15 seconds max!!!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to larrybuck For This Useful Post:
dirtydave (02-10-2015)