Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #31 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydave View Post
How about leaving an opening for cars turning onto the road from a side street or parking lot? I will leave a gap so someone can get out.
Yep, equally those turning out can check the lights holding up the traffic (or whether the queue is moving further down) and wait if it is green (or moving) - otherwise those in the queue might not make it across the red and will be less likely to be so kind again. Karma pays back and takes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydave View Post
Or in the city where it is a light and another light just a few car lengths ahead people will block the entire road and be in the middle of the intersection stopped at the red light. I wont move if I cant fit on the other side of it.
Agreed again. We have yellow cross-hatching for junctions which are not supposed to be blocked, one is at the end of my road. Unfortunately the local council owned bus company seems to think it has a right to block them if it so pleases so quite often I find my "keep clear" junction totally blocked by a bus.

4 way flashers (aka Hazard lights here in Blighty) do not mean "Free Parking Anywhere" - just so you know...

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I'm on my bike more often then in my car. Fewer miles though.

When I approach a stop sign with a car waiting to enter traffic, I go around behind them to give them the best shot. Actually, I don't trust them to see me.

Quote:
"Accidents waste time"
Sooo true.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

As a person who travels both by CRX ( I'm a triple 1987owner now,1 DX,2 HF), and large rigs that I often drive for 2 or 3 states, I see both sides of the counter so to speak.
Most modern vehicles always have at least some semblance of headlights on automatically. I understand the comment of not sure to receive a flash to merge or DID that car behind just hit a bump?
The trucks I generally deliver are new enough that headlights can not be turned off even at the weigh scales when there are signs stating to do so!!!
So flashing brights to let in one ahead nearly unavoidable. The key is the timing to not overdo it! About half WANT to wait to lane change until both of my headlights are observed in their mirrors, and the other half want to cut in about 1 1/2 car lengths!!!

I'm sure that on a rainy night, a trucker would appreciate help when to lane change.

Many times I am delivering a truck w/o a load, so I am constantly passing big rigs.
Mostly the car traffic will be in little packs about a mile apart. Since often, MY cruising speed is only 3-5 mph faster than them, I will patiently wait for 5-6 cars to go by before passing not to hold the show up.
It does flame me to see a trucker who is only looking to improve his speed by 2 mph over who he wants to pass pull out right in front of 6 cars closing as a gradual rise uphill takes place on the freeway which turns it into the NOWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One pet peeve I have no matter what I'm driving is WHY does someone who passes me have to nearly take the front of my vehicle off when they lane change when there is NOT A VEHICLE behind them for 3 miles????????????

I hope to be using wink type mirrors in the near future. It is too bad they are not made w a day/night feature. I have a couple of old plastic tinted patches bought from JC Whitney years back to help w headlight glare. They just stick on static wise, no moisture, or suction cups needed. The problem is I don't know who still sells like stuff.
I would cut mine up to fit the different blocks of the WINK, and just put them in the glove box during the day. The switchover would take maybe 15 seconds max!!!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to larrybuck For This Useful Post:
dirtydave (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #34 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Hands waving over the top of the a steering wheel I ignore.
Actually, that is my favorite part of driving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
No one is under obligation to exceed the speed limit.
But driving slower is more dangerous than speeding! Ask any reckless driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
When I approach a stop sign with a car waiting to enter traffic, I go around behind them to give them the best shot. Actually, I don't trust them to see me.
I go behind if they are trying to go forward, or in front if they are backing up. I do not trust them to not kill me.

When you approach the front gate of military installations, there are signs to turn off your headlights. Apparently, the bus that I drove last drill was newer than my car, "off" was meaningless, but I imagine that most people going through do not even pay attention.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The S - '99 Saturn SC2
Team Saturn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post

When you approach the front gate of military installations, there are signs to turn off your headlights.
Never heard of this. Why would they want them off?

Assuming you're talking about an installation that isn't overseas.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #36 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Don't blind the guards. They "perceive hostile intent," as the ROE calls it, and your day ends badly.

Overseas installations are easy- your headlights aren't even on at night and long as the weapon is spun to the side away from the guards and the gunner is sitting well away from it, everybody's happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 02-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #37 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
"Don't flag the tower."

Aiming your rifle at someone is called "flagging." It sounds harmless, but I would respond poorly if someone did that to me.

When I was stationed in Germany, there were signs about the headlights, probably in both languages, and you were expected to mute your radio, too.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Something courteous?....

..... Actually driving the speed limit in slower sections of little villages that I pass through to/from work.

Last year I was on the way home from work, and going through a small 2000 soul community. It's marked 30 mph, and I'm slowly getting up to speed on the motorcycle, after making a stop sign. A man on the left side of the road is waving vigorously at me, so I pull off to the side and loop back to where he is.

He wanted to say "thank-you" for following the speed limit and we got into a short but nice conversation about fuel conservation and conservative driving.

Needless to say, I think about our discussion each time I pass his house daily.

Jim.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The S - '99 Saturn SC2
Team Saturn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Don't blind the guards. They "perceive hostile intent," as the ROE calls it, and your day ends badly.
Hadn't even thought about the blinding affect.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
An important rule is never to piss off the guy with the automatic weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
courteous driving