View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 12:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
BabyDiesel
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
CrippleRooster - Thanks for the info on GM's I6's! I did not know about the 265 V8 being first. I assumed it was the 350

hondaguy72 - Yes, I believe you are talking about angle milling. That will be done as much as possible. Though I am thinking about keeping the 193 heads. I already have them, and they can be ported and cleaned up to make near the power and flow of a Vortec. And they are torquier down low, which is needed with me going to the Atkinson Cycle.

2000mc - That idea is great! I'm probably not going Vortec though. However! I may have figured out a way around the intake reversion problem while keeping the MAP system.

I have the idea of opening the intake valve on the intake stroke @ ~90* ATDC. Then, close the intake valve @ ~140* ATDC/BDC on the intake stroke.

Lemme preach on it! With the piston traveling down the hole (All valves closed), I do believe the cylinder will have an increasing amount of suction within. As soon as the intake valve opens at the late angle, I am thinking the charge will be pulled in more vigorously, promoting turbulence and mixing on top of what the swirl ports will do. With the quick close, less charge is trapped, allowing me to the run high compression. Also, the piston is still traveling downward as the mix is done coming in and the cylinder is sealed off. My thinking is that this will further the mixing of fuel molecules. Then it's high compression and BOOM. Beautiful ignition!

Am I missing something in the above paragraph? Feel free to point out any ignorance. I am smart, but I know little about internal engine dynamics.

I will be configuring the exhaust valve timing in the next few days. I will dive into the the Mazda Skyactive engines to see how the do it. IIRC a major contributor their engine running the 14:1+- CR was an efficient exhaust.

Probably means headers for the K5

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr