View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Gypsy Rose: a beautiful, downsized, DIY, mobile, off-grid cabin

Building Gypsy Rose - Creating a Small House for Living Large

This is in fact a "mobile home" in the truest sense of the word: it was built in one location on a trailer platform so that it could be moved between its summer & winter moorings when finished.

Building Gypsy Rose is the builder's blog. And not only is he a real craftsman, but a wordsmith as well. It's definitely worth a read.

Why build a tiny, mobile house?

Quote:
Gypsy Rose was born of necessity. I (Kevin) live on a boat (Raven) on Lake Champlain from April through November. Marion recently bought land in Tunbridge, Vermont. While I was exploring options for a winter residence in Burlington (Raven is "on the hard" from mid-November through the beginning of April), Marion knew she needed a temporary summer home in Tunbridge until she decides how to eventually build a permanent home on her land.

Last winter, I was mulling over the options while on a long drive through Vermont. It came to me. I called Marion and suggested, "Why don't we build a home on wheels! We can share it. I can use it during the winter months in Burlington and you can use it during the summer months in Tunbridge."

The cabin's platform.

The specs...

Quote:
[Living on a sailboat in the summer months] has given me a good understanding of independent, low impact living. Like the boat, Gypsy Rose will be self contained and off the grid - using many systems that were developed for marine applications. She will operate primarily on 12V electrical systems whose batteries will ultimately be charged by solar or small-scale hydro (with a generator backup). Propane will power the stove, the refrigerator, the furnace, and the on-demand hot water heater. A composting toilet will handle the waste.

Gypsy Rose, on her first road trip through the
mountains of Vermont.

I've been reading the blog & following their progress faithfully since I discovered it over a year ago. Highly. Recommended.

Building Gypsy Rose

See also: Off-grid, "off the shelf" shack

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget