View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #1688 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
I just finally finished and submitted a basic stand-alone dual IGBT driver board, which has a 7 pin connector for +24v, ground, +5v, pwm high, pwm low, desat fault, clear desat. You can use it to drive very large IGBTs (I've tested the circuit on a 600v 600amp IGBT at 10KHz already). It Just plugs into the IGBT.

You can use it as a high side or low side driver for a dc controller too. I added a couple extra holes so you could short out the low side (or high side) gate to emitter so the 2nd IGBT could act as the freewheel diode. I think I'll sell them for maybe $7 each for those that want to make their own 3 phase inverter or dc controller, but don't want to mess with making their own high power driver section. I would like to buy bulk parts so they could be cheap to populate too.
AWESOME!

First - Do you need any beta testers or have you past that phase already?

Second - What are your price breakpoints? I likely won't have time to build more than 4 or 5 of them, but I can order a couple dozen boards .. maybe more?

Background story/boring stuff

I have several (many?) retired/surplus industrial VFDs that I would like to upcycle. The smallest is 6 amps at 575VAC and the largest is 400 amps at 575VAC. Some have IGBTs failed, some have capacitors failed, some are likely in operational condition but the keypad/user interface is not operational (and is required to use it)

All of these units are awaiting brain transplants so that they can become battery chargers, DC controllers, AC controllers, battery dischargers, DC buck/boost controllers ... you get the idea.

The DC bus is in place, spaced correctly for the voltage. The heat sinks are in place and the IGBTs mounted. I need to replace the controller board(s), add a master controller to generate the signals, and another to handle the outside world (throttle, brakes, line voltage synchronizing, CANbus).

Still a bit of a hurdle, that will take some time, but not such a big hurdle now that you've done the heavy lifting of creating the driver board!