View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 02:00 PM   #36 (permalink)
BabyDiesel
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Elhigh -

Quote:
I find the whole idea fascinating but I think your best money would be spent making yours the best SBC 350 it can be, not trying to retcon it into an Atkinson-ish model.

The TBI isn't really sophisticated enough to handle the tune you want for Atkinson function. Like the other guy said, the sensors are wrong.

Your truck is an aero disaster. I think there are likely a lot of things you can do, things that aren't too gross to look at, that will clean it up a lot. You're already doing nearly 15mpg and for a vehicle that size with that engine, that's pretty good. Tune your mill to its very best, and leave it alone.

I remember reading about Hot VWs "Mileage Motor" project - virtually none of which will make a hill of beans' difference to your project - but they found a lot of mileage after giving their test vehicle a chassis tune: setting up bearings correctly, alignment, fixing brake drag, etc.

You don't have to give your truck a heart and brain transplant in order to make it perform well, I think. I suspect you're just going for the biggest, sexiest project that has the greatest possible potential - really I think the Atkinson project does have enormous potential, but starting from a TBI SBC is probably the second-hardest way to do it (first hardest being carbureted) - but skipping past the more mundane but proven techniques that might get you closer to your goal anyway.
I'm taking your wisdom and using it! You are right, TBI isn't well suited for an Atkinson motor.

"You're truck is an aero disaster." made me LOL. I have thoughts of a partial grill block, undertray, and a bigger air dam. MAYBE an AeroCap as BigDave mentioned.

I think a chassis tune would be beneficial to my truck. Setting up bearings correctly, alignment, fixing brake drag, could all add up to 5%. A 5% increase from 15 is 15.75 mpg. An increase none the less!

I was going for awesome and sexy... it seemed viable and not too too complicated. I still have plans for a Atkinson/Miller cycle LS1

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr