View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
First thing I would add some coolant. The "low coolant" light comes off a sensor in the overflow tank. When it's cold most of the coolant is in the radiator, when it warms up and expands it pushes some coolant into the overflow and makes the level high enough to turn off the light. So add some more of the proper coolant (or some of the stuff designed to go with any type of coolant) to the overflow tank, there should be a cold and a hot line on the tank. Fill it to the cold line if the motor is cold or the hot line if the motor is fully warmed up. Realize this is the overflow not the actual radiator. Never take the radiator cap off when the motor is fully warmed up.

Also you should check your tire pressures cold not hot. It really doesn't matter what they get to hot it's cold pressure you want to set them at. There is a bit of a debate as to how high is ok but with a 2500 series you should have LT tires good for 75 psi cold.

I had a 1999 7.4 gas 2500 Suburban. One problem we had that apparently was a design problem with the transfer case this year Suburban and even Duramax Diesel trucks of the next few years after, was a little clip inside would vibrate and rub the inside of the transfer case until it made a BB sized hole in it. Then all the fluid would leak out and ultimately cause the expensive transfer case to fail. When mine happened luckily I noticed the leak and fixed the hole with some JB weld which held up fine.

Last edited by Hersbird; 02-27-2015 at 12:27 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
101Volts (02-28-2015)