View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I'd advise getting a scangauge, ultragauge, or some other form of OBDII monitoring device. You can watch your coolant temps (and a ton of other things like mpg) and see if its getting too warm and if your radiator fan is running too much.
Keep in mind that modern temperature gauges do not accurately reflect engine temperatures. They go up to normal and just stay there. It is hard to say how much grill you can block. It depends on too many variables. You don't have big hills in Florida so that is good. I don't know if you plan to tow with your truck. It gets hot there and you may need AC. All of these affect how much grill opening you need. In my experience, towing and a hill in warm weather can max out your cooling system with no grill blocking. I used some temporary blocking and watched temps carefully till I felt comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.