View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVmetro View Post
......Killing the engine when it is not needed makes good sense. What would happen if you killed the engine on the comparable ICE as well? Efficient fuel management does not need to be unique to hybrids, does it?....
Consumer Reports published a "Car" exclusive last year, and the Prius was "the" most cost effective car in the study. It had the lowest cost per mile of all the cars in the comparison.

Now I can't recall if every car that "you" may think should be included, was included, but that study made an impression on me.

The main advantage of running off battery most of the time, and only starting the ICE to charge the battery when necessary does indeed save fuel, in spite of the extra vehicle weight that it hauls around.

One could drive a normal ICE and accomplish the same thing as a hybrid, but I can't honestly ask my wife to drive her car that way. A hybrid does it all automatically for her. No muss, no fuss.

Take a look at Fuelly some time and make your own comparisons.

When it's time for my wife to get a new car in a few years, I will be looking at a hybrid.

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 03-02-2015 at 01:35 PM..