View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 PM   #65 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Pacifica Hybrid - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
90 day: 85.85 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,460 Times in 3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
What if you did this same comparison with a 1.0 ecoboost Fiesta which is over $10,000 less then a Prius and gets even closer economy, I don't think you would ever recover the cost.
I don't think people have any idea what sort of car the Prius is. My mom keeps calling it a tiny car, and asks me what it's like driving the little thing. A Prius and a Fiesta aren't comparable vehicles. I could just as easily compare a moped and a Fiesta and then ask, why not get the moped that is $10k less expensive?

As already stated, the proper way to evaluate hybrid vs non-hybrid is by looking at models that have both options. Anyone trying to do wacky comparisons like a Fiesta to a Prius is being intentionally misleading, and really has no interest in knowing what the value of they hybrid components are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
I believe that a well-designed ICE car is more efficient than an identical (but heavier and more complicated) hybrid.
Well, your belief is wrong. The explanation has already been discussed in this thread. That said, choose the right tool for the job. If someone has a 100 mile commute that is nearly all freeway driving, then a gasser with the proper gearing and aero profile might be the way to go. Stop and go urban driving; a hybrid tends to be the right tool.

Here is proof -> Compare Side-by-Side

The Camry gets 28 MPG, and the hybrid gets 41.
The Accord gets 31 MPG, and the hybrid gets 47.

Quote:
Prii and Insights seem to top out around 70 mpg, but there are ICE cars here that beat that.

Look at the Urba Centurion that runs off a little diesel engine and gets 200+ mpg. You can't beat that!
Sure I can beat that. A bicycle gets like a million miles per gallon. Comparing the Prius to the Urba Centurion is pointless. If you want a 15 horsepower car that accelerates like molasses, has no modern conveniences or entertainment, and a poor safety rating, then its easy to get good fuel economy. On top of that, the Urba Centurion would get even better fuel economy if it was designed as a hybrid.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-04-2015 at 04:01 AM..