View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 12:20 AM   #281 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

I've already pointed out that you can legally import Chinese UTVs and register them for a special low-speed road license (which, honestly, is all you'll be able to get for something like the Nano, as well, even if it were legal). But you'll need more than just six people to go with you. You'll need to buy at least a dozen (a hundred is preferable) to get bulk sale rates and to bring shipping down.

No need to add side mirrors and indicators for road-legality. They come standard already on many Chinese UTVs.

No AC, you may complain... well, the cars you're looking at, to get the prices you want, you have to buy variants without AC, power steering or ABS, already... and not just no AC... no blower, as well. (There's a test drive I didn't agree to. I'd rather not die of heat stroke in our typical 1 mile per hour gridlock) So it's all the same banana.

-

RE: Pickups: Blame the chicken tax. A 25% tax is disincentive enough for anyone.

Though it's not so cut-and-dried... the compact class, I think, also died a natural death over the decades. Heck, even outside the USA, trucks are now huge. But still smaller than in America. All of the new pick-up launches feature trucks over 210" in length... far beyond the last American Rangaer.

And even then, the US Colorado was delayed as they banged out a few more inches of space in every dimension, just for the American market, for good measure.

-

I think Brazil still gets small diesel pick-ups. And perhaps India. Everyone else is supersizing it, all the better to cope with bigger McDonald's-fed passenger payloads.

Last edited by niky; 03-08-2015 at 12:26 AM..