View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #134 (permalink)
vibrating_cake
EcoModding Lurker

I'm suprised nobody has picked up on something i said a while ago...
I'm from the UK so we get the EURO civic (2.2 litre turbo diesel).
Yes it's a tank, at nearly 300kg heavier (weighbridge) than my current CRZ (1.5 petrol hybrid)
It has 4 useable seats, plus lots of space for loading and unloading things, bikes, garden waste, moving house, tools etc. It's pretty fast and gets 63mpg(uk) on the highway(motorway)
Book numbers do not agree with the highway numbers i forget what they are, that's with no hypermiling, no driving economically, that was drive to the motorway on a cold engine, run up to 70mph and hit cruise control...

The CRZ on the other hand, struggles to hit 60mpg(uk) on the highway/motorway, same technique, up to 70mph, hit cruise control.
eco mode gets close at 58-59mpg, where sport mode returns 53-55mpg, not sure what normal mode gives, but i'm sure its between the two!

This coming from a NORMAL driver, none of this engine off pulse and glide etc.
We are in the real world, not specifically on this form.

Town driving... lets go figure this one out,
43mpg 2.2 diesel civic +300kg
43mpg 1.5 petrol CRZ...

The CRZ has back seats in europe... not that anyone can fit in there who's over 3 foot tall. Not much luggage room, but fun to drive.

All this compromise gives... less overall MPG than the big dirty diesel.
Although, i must say, i do ENJOY the CRZ more, but i still have a soft spot for the power surge from the big diesel.

I still own both cars, the civic needs a grill block in winter, or you're freezing your nuts off for the first 20minutes of driving, plus getting horrid mpg for the first 20minutes, the grill block reduces this to 5minutes, and is worth a good 10mpg on a 40min commute, and closer to 5mpg on an hour+commute.

The thing is with old cars, if you buy an old car for £50 (which you can in the uk) and legally run it for 11months until the MOT runs out, scrap it for the same £50 in metal weight price, no depreciation, but probably a few on-going repairs. And run a full years loss at cost of repairs (say less than £500, if not you scrap it early) that's the cheapest way to drive!

The thing is, does the crz make sense, or do i buy another 2.2 litre turbo diesel civic.
Not really, i like the CRZ, it's nice to drive and in traffic is a dream compared to the civic.
But i have kept the civic (my better half now commutes in it) because it is 10x better than the CRZ on the highway(motorway) so much more stable and better visibility and MPG.

The perfect family would be EV replacing the CRZ, and keeping the civic for long distances, take the hit on the commuting MPG, for practicality and the need for RANGE, offset it with the cost of EV.

But batteries are nowhere near what they need to be for a propper EV, i ran the numbers on the CRZ and a nissan leaf (with battery rental) price per mile on both were between 11 and 13pence per mile (1p being £0.01) not sure what that is in cents etc???
Whereas the civic is on 15p per mile, due to diesel costing more in the UK.

So, once batteries are up to scratch for EV/propper hybrid, the ideal world (for me) would be one big hybrid, say SUV but with plenty of luggage space and the ability to tow!
and a smaller city EV, like the leaf, or smaller.

But we can afford to drive like idiots and run the cars we want so buying an EV would just be for pleasure and the experience.

Keeping the civic means it's paid for completley and it's now just on 100,000 miles, no extra cost.