View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
figit090
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk618 View Post
They did away with that long ago.

FWIW Carfax can be easily fooled and the good scammers know this. The reports are virtually worthless imo.

I owned a used car lot for years.
DITTO!

You can easily have a car repaired without reporting it, and my current vehicle has evidence it's been in a MAJOR accident. There are literally straightened FOLDS under the rear seats from when the sheet metal was crunched, then straightened. There's also broken and shoddily repaired rear subframe damage. Clean california title, and no california smog equipment either (no second cat).

All-in-all I consider vehicle checks as a good record of lien sales, # of owners, and a location history for the car. It's like a supplement to what the owner tells you, trained eyes, carpet pulling, and a mechanic are the best bet.

I'm not sure how to ask an owner about pulling up carpet though, lol.

SOO I have a line on a 2000 HX with a 5spd and ~130k miles! He was asking $3500 but i'm going to offer $2700, and probably stop at $3000 because it does not have A/C, and the timing belt and water pump have never been changed.

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!