Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by figit090 View Post
Thanks for the tips! and the price info, it's hard to believe these cars are so inexpensive, but they are old and after all just a civic. Still though, I'm happy not to need a $6k budget.

I have a guy responding to my HX want ad, but sadly his has 250k miles on it, it's been lowered, and he didn't seem to know if it had any basic things done, like timing belt, clutch...etc. I was shocked but he said since 2007 and the last 100k or so...it hasn't needed major work.
I will look at it tomorrow but I'm also going to tell him his $3k asking price is way high for that mileage without major parts being replaced
Perhaps I could offer $500-$1000 for it? I have yet to see it, but at least I'll get to see a HX for a few minutes, which is my main incentive at this point.

He said he'd probably take an offer if I made one but I dunno what he exects and then I'd have to go about getting the...

cosmetic issues worked out (crack in bumper...etc)
correct enkei rims in good shape found, and new tires to fit
new clutch
possible engine rebuild (i mean it's 250k miles...holy crap)
wheel bearings
new sensors
new front seat (minor tears so I'd want something fresh eventually)
full tuneup including timing belt, dizzy/rotor, plugs, wires, EGR cleaning
tranny rebuild??

I don't want to do a rebuild myself, the rest I'm game. It's just a bummer when I wanted to just get a $3000-$3500 nice car and be done with it. I will pass I think but I'm still going to look at it. Who knows maybe he'll take $500? lol.
3k is way to much. I would offer 1,500,as that would be reasonable. I doubt it needs a motor rebuild, Honda engines last forever. As for the rest, I would immediately change timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, spark plug wires, dizzy O'ring, v-tech solenoid gasket, oil, tranny oil, brakes, and clean the engine compartment. It's a big gamble buying it from someone who knows nothing about cars, I got lucky with this civic it wasn't something major leaking oil, or I could have been in big trouble.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
Ecky (07-16-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Car Gurus lists a 1999 HX sold by a dealer in RI and seemingly stock with 207,000 miles at nearly $3000. But cargurus calls that price $500 too high. So they seem to think 2500 would be a "fair price" for one with 43K fewer miles than the one you're looking at, and theirs already has the stock wheels. Just more evidence for the "that price is too high" claim.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Car Gurus lists a 1999 HX sold by a dealer in RI and seemingly stock with 207,000 miles at nearly $3000. But cargurus calls that price $500 too high. So they seem to think 2500 would be a "fair price" for one with 43K fewer miles than the one you're looking at, and theirs already has the stock wheels. Just more evidence for the "that price is too high" claim.
Haha yeah I was already pretty convinced 3k was way too much. I was seeing about on par with what "car gurus" says, after looking at about 30 ads over the last few months.

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!
Old 07-17-2014, 01:51 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SLOMOTO - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 56.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by figit090 View Post
Yeah I wish so many eco cars weren't fugly. That's another reason I feel like the HX is PERFECT, because tasteful mods can make them look pretty good, and that's not to say it's not good looking as-is. I like the stock enkei rims, too. The TCH and FFH don't look bad, you're right. If I had that budget though I wouldn't give a crap about fuel expense, I'd be in a mkIV supra, or something else comfortable, powerful, clean, and fun.

Oh and yeah, I hate priuses more because of that accident. I already didn't like them but now they make me cringe (or scream if they're in the way). I had to fight over a year, eventually winning a lawsuit, because a careless woman backed into the street and smaked our car, tweaking my neck; and they (the insurance of the car owner, not the driver) didn't want to cover basic treatment. Don't support Farmers, they can burn in hell. Also, don't stand near hybrids or drive by without observing their occupancy, they're silent killers.

Thanks for the tips! and the price info, it's hard to believe these cars are so inexpensive, but they are old and after all just a civic. Still though, I'm happy not to need a $6k budget.

I have a guy responding to my HX want ad, but sadly his has 250k miles on it, it's been lowered, and he didn't seem to know if it had any basic things done, like timing belt, clutch...etc. I was shocked but he said since 2007 and the last 100k or so...it hasn't needed major work.
I will look at it tomorrow but I'm also going to tell him his $3k asking price is way high for that mileage without major parts being replaced
Perhaps I could offer $500-$1000 for it? I have yet to see it, but at least I'll get to see a HX for a few minutes, which is my main incentive at this point.

He said he'd probably take an offer if I made one but I dunno what he exects and then I'd have to go about getting the...

cosmetic issues worked out (crack in bumper...etc)
correct enkei rims in good shape found, and new tires to fit
new clutch
possible engine rebuild (i mean it's 250k miles...holy crap)
wheel bearings
new sensors
new front seat (minor tears so I'd want something fresh eventually)
full tuneup including timing belt, dizzy/rotor, plugs, wires, EGR cleaning
tranny rebuild??

I don't want to do a rebuild myself, the rest I'm game. It's just a bummer when I wanted to just get a $3000-$3500 nice car and be done with it. I will pass I think but I'm still going to look at it. Who knows maybe he'll take $500? lol.
Pay for and run a carfax! It's the best recommendation I can give anyone. I know they seem expensive, but they save you a headache and much more money down the road. Plus you can tell when an owner is lying to you once you have the history of the car.

When I went on the hunt for a VX, I spent almost $200 for carfaxes, I bought 5 at a time, and ran every car I had interest in. I now own a minty VX!! Well worth every dime I paid carfax.

My $.02 anyway. Good luck!

ZO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
If my hypermiling in the Insight cancels out the effects of just one gap toothed git-er-done in his big dumb F250 dually with his inbred kids and pitbull hanging off the side rails in the back, glaring at me as they roll coal around me . . . . . then maybe there will be some gas left when my grand kids start to drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to DOFZO For This Useful Post:
figit090 (07-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFZO View Post
Pay for and run a carfax! It's the best recommendation I can give anyone. I know they seem expensive, but they save you a headache and much more money down the road. Plus you can tell when an owner is lying to you once you have the history of the car.

When I went on the hunt for a VX, I spent almost $200 for carfaxes, I bought 5 at a time, and ran every car I had interest in. I now own a minty VX!! Well worth every dime I paid carfax.

ZO.
Thanks! I will probably do that, and whatever other auto registry there is (autocheck and someother one). I always forget that.

I can however say with certainty that carfax will not reveal all, but it does help. My car has a clean title and I know for a fact it's been a horrible accident, so lesson learned there would be to check under carpets when allowed, and look for asymmetrical steel. Mine has folds under the rear seat but the chassis looked ok on a lift. go figure.
It was my first car and will be retired to a racecar/track car in the future.

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:33 AM   #36 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFZO View Post

ZO.
You know unlimited carfaxes is only 50$ a month right?

Old 03-08-2015, 11:26 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

97 Civic HX sedan VX trans - '98 Honda Civic LX + HX + VX
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
You know unlimited carfaxes is only 50$ a month right?
They did away with that long ago.

FWIW Carfax can be easily fooled and the good scammers know this. The reports are virtually worthless imo.

I owned a used car lot for years.
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawk618 For This Useful Post:
figit090 (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk618 View Post
They did away with that long ago.

FWIW Carfax can be easily fooled and the good scammers know this. The reports are virtually worthless imo.

I owned a used car lot for years.
DITTO!

You can easily have a car repaired without reporting it, and my current vehicle has evidence it's been in a MAJOR accident. There are literally straightened FOLDS under the rear seats from when the sheet metal was crunched, then straightened. There's also broken and shoddily repaired rear subframe damage. Clean california title, and no california smog equipment either (no second cat).

All-in-all I consider vehicle checks as a good record of lien sales, # of owners, and a location history for the car. It's like a supplement to what the owner tells you, trained eyes, carpet pulling, and a mechanic are the best bet.

I'm not sure how to ask an owner about pulling up carpet though, lol.

SOO I have a line on a 2000 HX with a 5spd and ~130k miles! He was asking $3500 but i'm going to offer $2700, and probably stop at $3000 because it does not have A/C, and the timing belt and water pump have never been changed.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #39 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Never changed?! Wow!

Well, I sure hope that mine was changed at sixty and a hundred and twenty thousand miles, but it made it to 180k, when I had it changed.

AC can be useful. My HX is black and I live in Arizona.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Never changed?! Wow!

Well, I sure hope that mine was changed at sixty and a hundred and twenty thousand miles, but it made it to 180k, when I had it changed.

AC can be useful. My HX is black and I live in Arizona.
I've talked to several owners who took theirs to 160k or so, or perhaps never knew of a timing belt change.

I'll be using it to talk him down probably. we'll see.

Reply  Post New Thread