View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #140 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
I P&G/ EOC at BSFC close to 90% of the time so I guess the ICE wins.
I think that 90% is an large exaggeration... the BSFC for the vehicles in your signature would make that nearly impossible ... plus you can't be in the peak ICE BSFC point for any of the time you are in EOC coasting .. which I suspect is more than 10% of the time ... the two (Peak BSFC and EOC) are mutually exclusive... and you can't be in peak BSFC point at several vehicle speeds you have to travel at while doing your P&G (the RPM won't line up).

You're also going the wrong direction ... the HEV looses value when the load doesn't vary ... a varying load via P&G still fits in with the HEV benefits.

The HEV can actually do all the same P&G you can do with your ICE-Only ... but the HEV has the potential to better P&G than the ICE-Only vehicle does .. due to previously described effects.

Also .. If your speed varies with your P&G you get an aerodynamic penalty ... requiring you to spend more energy than just traveling at the same average speed ... HEVs can be designed to achieve the ICE P&G effect ... without the vehicle speed P&G penalty ... that is something the ICE-Only can not do... thus the HEV has better P&G potential than the ICE-Only can ever do.

Quote:
We also know that a aeromodded Suzuki/Metro can match an Insight in the right hands.
Not in equally skilled hands ... In Equally skilled hands the Gen1 will do better than the Suzuki/Metro (even with Aeromods)

Unless you have an example of a (non-PHEV) AeroModed Metro getting better than 164MPG on one tank of gas over a long distance like the 2,254 Miles as was done with the Gen1 Insight.?? And that was with AFAIK only a FAS mod for P&G ... Spend an equal amount of time and money (as you did modding the metro Aero) instead into improve the Gen1 Insight and it could get even better than that 164MPG 2,254 Mile run.

Quote:
So no Insight owner I'm aware of has a car that's actually reached the break even point yet!
Hi ... I am Ian ... It's nice to met you.
Now you have
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamIan For This Useful Post:
Carbon (03-17-2015), mikeyjd (03-10-2015), RedDevil (03-10-2015)