View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #148 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
Honda Insight $48,990 (3.2l/100km combined)
Honda Civic GLi 1.7l four door sedan $23,950 (7.1l/100km combined)
Dude, what?

That quoted price is completely out of line with what I'm seeing in the US, and if that's what they're charging for Insights in Oz, that may be a very large part of why you're arguing so hard against Insights and/or other hybrids. What is the source of that inflated price?

Around here the manufacturer's suggested retail price on a new 2014 Insight topped out around $24,000, while a loaded Civic Hybrid can close in on $30,000. Obviously the model content will not be directly comparable.

Perhaps it's better to consider the strippers. A bottomed-out 2014 Insight - assuming you can find a base model one, they're not building any new ones to spec anymore - starts at just under $19K, while a Civic Hybrid starts just south of $25K and a new 2015 Civic HF, the most comparable non-hybrid Civic, starts at $20,000 and gets 3mpg fewer than the Insight. The Insight starts with an advantage against the HF and the gap opens with every mile.

Full disclosure: the Civic Hybrid has a 3mpg advantage over the Insight. In spite of the higher price, I consider it to be that much of a nicer car than the Insight that the Insight would not get much consideration from me. However a GenI Insight on the used market would probably get a good long look, it's hard to pass up 60mpg and there won't be three of us carpooling together much longer.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.