View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #1458 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
Hudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madact View Post
Saw this beauty recently at a local car show - it's a Hudson Super-Six Coach, the 1948 model I believe. The curves and angles may not have been optimum, but it looks like the intent was certainly there - makes me wonder what you could achieve if modern CFD and aero optimisation techniques were applied to some of these older design concepts...

I also noticed that a broad selection of the older cars there had full or partial rear wheel skirts, some removable and others formed by simply having a lower arch.
When Professor Kamm was working in the USA,the Hudson was his only 'BUY' recommendation for friends and associates.
If you have 'A Method of Estimating Drag Coefficients',by R.G.S.White,of MIRA,UK,you might 'cook' the car on paper and see what it produces.It would be + or - 7-8% accurate.
I've seen Cd 0.36 claimed for the 1948-51 Nash Airflyte.If true,it seems like the Hudson could run in that territory.I see them at a local vintage wrecking lot,where Billy Gibbons has found parts for some of his project cars.The Hudson is a really attractive car.
Madact (03-10-2015)