View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #156 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
And I suppose the hybrids operate at BSFC while EOCing?
No .. as I already wrote ... Peak BSFC and EOC are mutually exclusive .. Hybrid or not .. it is not possible to do both at the same time.

Quote:
All I know is my engine is either at 80-100% load of it's off. It might not technically be BSFC but high load is efficient even if the RPM is off.
% load is not % of peak BSFC ... there are parts of the BSFC that a higher % load is LESS energy efficient ... look at the BSFC for your ICE... or you can also see this in the BSFC I already posted.

The goal is for highest average ICE operating efficiency ... not highest average load.

Quote:
My Fiat 500 returns 50mpg without any EOC or hybird or anything. Just a small turbo engine and a manual gearbox - A/C on, still giving it a bit of a thrashing as appropriate, and even sharing the driving 30% with a non-hypermiler. It's CD is 0.36. I dare say that if this engine were simply slotted into an aerodynamic light weight Insight body, it would return numbers in the 70's.
Got a BSFC for that ICE ??
For me ... That's the important data... as far as weather such a swap would be a MPG pro or con.

Quote:
I expect my Fiat to be in that range soon
Glad to hear it.