View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #159 (permalink)
oldtamiyaphile
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
No .. as I already wrote ... Peak BSFC and EOC are mutually exclusive .. Hybrid or not .. it is not possible to do both at the same time.
I know I was point out that hybrids don't differ that much in this regard.

Quote:
% load is not % of peak BSFC ... there are parts of the BSFC that a higher % load is LESS energy efficient ... look at the BSFC for your ICE... or you can also see this in the BSFC I already posted.

The goal is for highest average ICE operating efficiency ... not highest average load.
I know, but with a 5-6 speed manual I have little trouble staying on that BSFC island and then it's just a matter of watching load. Manual Insignts again would be similar in this regard, but the hybrid could still artificially add/reduce load, which the ICE can't.

Quote:
Got a BSFC for that ICE ??
For me ... That's the important data... as far as weather such a swap would be a MPG pro or con.
Sadly no BSFC graph can be found, this would help me a lot as I don't drive the car enough to reach experimental conclusions. On paper the Insight weighed 100kg less than a Fiat 500, and the little Twinair engine block will fit on an A4 sheet of paper. You'd end up at least 150kg lighter than the Fiat, and the CD would go from .36 to .25(?), slightly smaller frontal area too. Teamed with suitable gearing, I can't imagine why that combo wouldn't beat the original Fiat engine donor by some margin. It would actually accelerate better than the Insight too, so theoretically, you could downsize the engine further.