View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
ShinyMew
EcoModding Lurker

Suzuki Swift '06 - '06 Suzuki Swift (Base)
Lightbulb The [part of the] road less travelled: car economy gains by ridge-riding in the dry?

As the title implies, is there anyone who has noticed a non-negligible improvement in fuel economy by driving on the unused portion of lane tarmac (typically on the inside half of the lane) when operating a car in dry conditions?

On one hand, logic may dictate that the used portion of a road lane (typically the centre of the lane) would be rendered smoother by the constant traffic which uses it. It is easily noticeable by often being darker and slightly lower than the unused portion on the inside which appears more glossy and new. On the other hand, I have noticed that the unused portion actually feels smoother, and is less prone to potholes.

I am not sure if this different experience is simply due to wishful-thinking induced by driving on fresher-appearing tarmac, however.

Summary version: I've only heard of ridge-riding really working when water forms in ridges of roads in poor condition. Does ridge-riding really work in the dry?

Last edited by ShinyMew; 03-13-2015 at 11:03 PM..