View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 11:20 PM   #165 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Here in a review they say around $20,000 for a new 2000 Insight. Then they say, "When asked if Honda would be selling the Insight at a loss, a company official rolled his eyes and said, "Yeah, that would be safe to assume.""
But AFAIK the source of that .. 'loss' ... is mostly the R&D .. which Honda then used for their other vehicles ... I don't see why it makes sense to put the cost on the shoulders of one model of car .. and the benefits across the shoulders of all the others... maybe for a tax write off PoV ... but from my PoV ... any R&D used for any other model should get spread out over all those other models... because that R&D cost was not just to make that one model.

AFAIK .. if the R&D is distributed across every model that Honda used it for .. each Gen1 Insight was sold and turned a profit for the retail price they charged ... ~$20k ... I've never seen any solid evidence showing otherwise... but I have seen evidence in favor of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a used Insight with a lifetime mileage that low. Most tend to be in the upper 50's or low 60's, in the hands of normal drivers.
Lowest I've ever seen was 19MPG over 1,935 Miles ... YMMV as they say ... if you sit idle in a shopping center parking lot with the AC on ... and let it 'warm up' for 5-10 minutes in the winter each day ... etc ... etc... yeah you'll get crappy MPG any kind of car you drive.