View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 02:46 AM   #46 (permalink)
figit090
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk618 View Post
Definitely buy the kit online.

You can buy complete kits *belt, tensioner, water pump*.

I highly recommend to AVOID the non name brand Chinese junk.

Gates, Dayco, etc are all good.
Thank you, if I don't get genuine Honda parts I'll likely look for the equivalent made by same manufacturer that actually made the Honda parts. Not sure what manufacturer that would be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I just had the timing belt replaced and I recommend ordering the parts on-line and bringing them to the shop. Old Mechanic recommended (more or less) this kit: More Information for DAYCO WP224K1BS and here is a 5% off code: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post470623

However, if you are having the dealership do it, I imagine you want OEM:
Through Majestic (hondaautomotiveparts.com)
14400-P2F-A01 BELT, TIMING (104RU24 GB-333) $37.72
19200-P2A-A01 WATER PUMP (YAMADA) 79.61
14520-P2A-306 TENSIONER SET, TIMING BELT (NIPPON SEIKO) 48.13
Rock Auto also shows a seal kit. I am not sure what that is, but here is the page: Honda Automotive Parts
Hey thanks for the info. I would likely get a manual and do the work myself, or bite the bullet and have Honda do it with ALL OEM parts from their inventory (unless buying at a discount elsewhere without changing warranty on the repair was possible). If I can have a nice one-owner HX that's been taken good care of without going out of state...I will be happy to treat it to a new Honda timing belt if I can afford it. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler kid View Post
96-97 are the most effecient years, 98 was kind of a mid year and didn't have the benefit of the 99+ interior styling and did not have the shift light indicator.

I have heard the 99-00 models had issues with the engine harness being pinched and causing ecu issues.

I have documented both of my hx purchases and builds, for more info please click my user name and see my threads created by users
What makes those years more efficient? I know there were body styling updates, but what docked the mileage? Either way I think I'd rather have a fresher one...the MPG gained from a *slightly* lighter or more efficient car could easily be negated by a more worn drivetrain. I'm totally guessing here though.

Which cars had a shift light indicator? I thought no US models had that feature, but I've been wondering. I know some have an "ECO" light signifying lean burn but I'm unsure what markets and years got either feature as standard.

As for the ECU wire pinching, any idea where or why? I'll search but I'm guessing that's an easy repair I wouldn't worry about.

Thanks for the info.

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!