Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
15 years and 130k miles on the timing belt. I think I would have the SELLER drive it to where it would be replaced, sale conditional on it arriving there with no bent (or worse) valves.

regards
mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
15 years and 130k miles on the timing belt. I think I would have the SELLER drive it to where it would be replaced, sale conditional on it arriving there with no bent (or worse) valves.

regards
mech
You've got a decent point there Mech. I was planning on driving it myself straight to honda, but you never know.

I haven't recieved photos or a reply from the guy in 8 days and no reply from my check-in with him yesterday. I'll have to call him I guess....waiting is getting old

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:20 PM   #43 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I just had the timing belt replaced and I recommend ordering the parts on-line and bringing them to the shop. Old Mechanic recommended (more or less) this kit: More Information for DAYCO WP224K1BS and here is a 5% off code: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post470623

However, if you are having the dealership do it, I imagine you want OEM:
Through Majestic (hondaautomotiveparts.com)
14400-P2F-A01 BELT, TIMING (104RU24 GB-333) $37.72
19200-P2A-A01 WATER PUMP (YAMADA) 79.61
14520-P2A-306 TENSIONER SET, TIMING BELT (NIPPON SEIKO) 48.13
Rock Auto also shows a seal kit. I am not sure what that is, but here is the page: Honda Automotive Parts
Old 03-11-2015, 12:38 AM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

97 Civic HX sedan VX trans - '98 Honda Civic LX + HX + VX
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I just had the timing belt replaced and I recommend ordering the parts on-line and bringing them to the shop. Old Mechanic recommended (more or less) this kit: More Information for DAYCO WP224K1BS and here is a 5% off code: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post470623

Rock Auto also shows a seal kit. I am not sure what that is, but here is the page: Honda Automotive Parts

Definitely buy the kit online.

You can buy complete kits *belt, tensioner, water pump*.

I highly recommend to AVOID the non name brand Chinese junk.

Gates, Dayco, etc are all good.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:14 AM   #45 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Zippy - '96 Honda Civic Hx
Team Honda
90 day: 40.77 mpg (US)

Boring - '11 Ford Fusion Sel
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
96-97 are the most effecient years, 98 was kind of a mid year and didn't have the benefit of the 99+ interior styling and did not have the shift light indicator.

I have heard the 99-00 models had issues with the engine harness being pinched and causing ecu issues.

I have documented both of my hx purchases and builds, for more info please click my user name and see my threads created by users

My civic thread
Old 03-11-2015, 02:46 AM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk618 View Post
Definitely buy the kit online.

You can buy complete kits *belt, tensioner, water pump*.

I highly recommend to AVOID the non name brand Chinese junk.

Gates, Dayco, etc are all good.
Thank you, if I don't get genuine Honda parts I'll likely look for the equivalent made by same manufacturer that actually made the Honda parts. Not sure what manufacturer that would be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post

Hey thanks for the info. I would likely get a manual and do the work myself, or bite the bullet and have Honda do it with ALL OEM parts from their inventory (unless buying at a discount elsewhere without changing warranty on the repair was possible). If I can have a nice one-owner HX that's been taken good care of without going out of state...I will be happy to treat it to a new Honda timing belt if I can afford it. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler kid View Post
96-97 are the most effecient years, 98 was kind of a mid year and didn't have the benefit of the 99+ interior styling and did not have the shift light indicator.

I have heard the 99-00 models had issues with the engine harness being pinched and causing ecu issues.

I have documented both of my hx purchases and builds, for more info please click my user name and see my threads created by users
What makes those years more efficient? I know there were body styling updates, but what docked the mileage? Either way I think I'd rather have a fresher one...the MPG gained from a *slightly* lighter or more efficient car could easily be negated by a more worn drivetrain. I'm totally guessing here though.

Which cars had a shift light indicator? I thought no US models had that feature, but I've been wondering. I know some have an "ECO" light signifying lean burn but I'm unsure what markets and years got either feature as standard.

As for the ECU wire pinching, any idea where or why? I'll search but I'm guessing that's an easy repair I wouldn't worry about.

Thanks for the info.

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!
Old 03-11-2015, 03:41 AM   #47 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by figit090 View Post
Thank you, if I don't get genuine Honda parts I'll likely look for the equivalent made by same manufacturer that actually made the Honda parts. Not sure what manufacturer that would be...

Hey thanks for the info. I would likely get a manual and do the work myself, or bite the bullet and have Honda do it with ALL OEM parts from their inventory (unless buying at a discount elsewhere without changing warranty on the repair was possible). If I can have a nice one-owner HX that's been taken good care of without going out of state...I will be happy to treat it to a new Honda timing belt if I can afford it. :P

What makes those years more efficient? I know there were body styling updates, but what docked the mileage? Either way I think I'd rather have a fresher one...the MPG gained from a *slightly* lighter or more efficient car could easily be negated by a more worn drivetrain. I'm totally guessing here though.

Which cars had a shift light indicator? I thought no US models had that feature, but I've been wondering. I know some have an "ECO" light signifying lean burn but I'm unsure what markets and years got either feature as standard.

As for the ECU wire pinching, any idea where or why? I'll search but I'm guessing that's an easy repair I wouldn't worry about.

Thanks for the info.
96-97 models had the shift indicator and that's about it. They are also typically cheaper and easier to find

FYI the shift indicator and the srs light module are literally the exact same modules in the gauge cluster. If your 98-00 car has an extra plug behind the dash that looks exactly like the srs plug (I believe the srs plug is yellow and shift indicator is green) you can install the shift indicator light in a newer model hx.

You can just move the srs module light over a slot to be the shift indicator.

The interior harness changed in 99, so it's possible 99-00 cars are not available to install a shift light

Completely useless feature but it's neat none the less

Common problems:

96-98 cars always have cracked center vents in the center vent above the radio, they never tilt all the blades up,and down together. You have to adjust the little fins each one individually

96-98 cars can also suffer from the hvac buttons being reversed, defrost button works as main vents, and main vents act as defrost. Simple adjustment under the dash fixes it

There was an ignition switch recall, if the ignition key matches the door key the recall has not been completed. Basically the ignition module gets worn and you don't need a key to start the car. I believe this was a 96-98 issue

Cracked exhaust manifolds at 180k miles, inspect the area of the manifold around the 02 sensor

Windshield wiper motors, ensure the wipers are fully functional and do a full sweep. If the wiper stops half way across the windshield when you turn it off the motors are shot

The window regulators are prone to stick and cause window operation problems. A heavy application of silicon spray into the window channels usually clears them up and gets them functional.

Power door locks should be operational. If non functional they can indicate that the door wiring harness has been cracked and repaired in properly

Be sure the block identification numbers indicate d16y5
The head indication numbers next to the coolant exit on the head should be upside down (atleast they are on mine) indicating a d16y5 solid roller head and not a y7 head

Inspect the spare tire well for rust and damage

My 96 had zero of these issues, my 98 suffered from the window regulators, window motors, and inconsistent gas mileage and lean burn. My 96 is trouble free with 300k miles and I can literally predict my tank mileage just based on how I drive, where as my 98 seemed to vary between tanks

My civic thread

Last edited by Chrysler kid; 03-11-2015 at 03:50 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrysler kid For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (03-11-2015), Xist (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #48 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I have seen some of these and not others in my 98 DX coupe. Window rails have a minor problem, exhaust manifold cracked a few years ago, and the vent buttons don't quite do what they say they do, but I have the same original keys and none of my vent fins are cracked at all.

Good list. Thanks.

James
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #49 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Team Honda

Yeah just double check to make sure that a screw driver or your house key can't start the car too.

The vent fins don't break it's the vertical alignment mechanism that brakes so you have to tilt each fin up and down individually.

I would also check for oil leaks under the distributor onto the block.

My car has a salvage title and 300k miles, the condition of the vehicle is a far greater factor than mileage

My civic thread
Old 03-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GRAH!

Another Civic HX popped up by me but it's got 113k miles on it without a new timing belt, and they're asking $4k!

I'll try and go see it but I'll have to offer $3k, citing immediate timing belt replacement.

This sure is aggravating. the 130k mile civic I was hoping to go see has dead-ended and I'll have to call the owner soon, see if that results in a reply.

Reply  Post New Thread