View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 04:06 AM   #247 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,719 Posts
Quote:
We’ve seen a lot of Gen1 Prius battery failures; I’d guess we’ve seen over 100 at this point. That may seem like a lot, but it’s a drop in the bucket when compared with other types of expensive repairs. We’re in Berkeley, so we have a lot of Gen1s still coming in and we’re still seeing at least one bad battery per month. At first most of the batteries were covered under warranty, but it has been 12 years since the last 2003 was sold, so none are covered anymore.
Predictive battery failure analysis for the Prius Hybrid

Hybrid batteries do fail. They even fail under warranty. Yes, they are replaced for free, although that is still an inconvenience, but while they might last hundreds of thousands of miles, they might not survive the warranty.

This is reportedly the oldest woman alive. The Mexican government says that she is 127, but she lost her birth certificate forty years ago.
Mexican woman becomes world's 'oldest person' - but lost her only proof 40 years ago - Telegraph

I lost my birth certificate and got a replacement. She cannot?

So, everyone, or at least most people live to be 127, right?

Am I being absurd?

Does one or a handful of Prii lasting for crazy miles on the same traction battery indicate the one you saw on Craigslist will, too?

Quote:
According to the Driving Sports blog only 306 Prius batteries had failed as of 6/09, out of 750,000 installed.
Otis Regrets… or Not › Early Prius owners get screwed on battery warranty
Unfortunately, that links to a dead article.

Quote:
The Prius family reached global cumulative sales of 4.8 million units by September 2014,
Toyota Prius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the same failure percentage continued until September 2,014, the failed batteries would be about two thousand.

I am not claiming they fail often or as prone to dying as soon as they are off of warranty like everything else, I just do not think that considering them ouroboros is accurate.

If you want a Prius, fine, I just think that you should start saving up for a battery once the warranty ends. Hey, earn some money off of it while you can. It might make a great down payment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
user removed (03-21-2015)