View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I thought you turned it up at night and down in the morning.

I turn it up then down all in one swell foop.
I did but then I changed behaviors and found that the water is always warm enough anyway.

Hmm, it appears that my water heater turns on and off instantly based on the thermostat position.

If i run the heater for 15-20 minutes (I ended up running longer than expected) while taking a shower one day, I can leave the thing off and have warm enough water to shower the next day. Water is on the edge or cold by the day after that if I wash dishes or do anything else.

If I do nothing the water seems to be warm enough after a full 3 days! But apparently not longer.

So it appears that I can keep warm water about 48 hours guaranteed after the burner has been run a while set to the lowest warm setting.

I guess I can tolerate a 15minute burn every other day.

Also when I turned the water heater back to vacation (after 20m( it was still running, but quit instantly once turned down,
so for me manual control is the only option,
we shall see if this affects my gas bill significantly (I think it will)

Anyone have a source of insulation for the cap of a gas water heater? There don't seem to be any available anymore with the cutouts.

Cheers
Ryan

Last edited by rmay635703; 03-25-2015 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: added update, apparently I keep warm water a long time if I don't use any but can run out.