View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #1885 (permalink)
benphyr
EcoModding Lurker

Asphault Camo - retired - '05 Honda Civic SE
90 day: 35.81 mpg (US)

Asphault Camo Kid hauler - '98 Honda Odyssey LX
90 day: 24.33 mpg (US)
Lightbulb you pulse and glide your pancake griddle

I can vouch for this working fantastically for gas stoves, I cannot say whether it works for other types. I began doing this after learning the technique from my brother-in-law for the even heating of the pan reasons, then last Sunday as I was day-dreaming and cooking up some flap-jacks, BAM, it hit me: I was pulse and gliding my gas stove. I only wish it was this easy for vehicular fuel burning appliances (cars).

If you have a heavy iron/steel pancake griddle you can alternate 3/4- to full-throttle (er heat) with engine off coasting (no heat) to provide a more even heating (because the flame is wider) and waste less heating (because you are cooking a full griddle of pancakes with heat only on for partial times) than you would with a medium flame which only heats a small circle in the middle of each burner and is running constantly. (Just warm up the pan on medium to low heat first so you don't warp it and this will work with almost any pan for this type of cooking.)

1998 Honda Odyssey Build thread http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post467438

Last edited by benphyr; 03-23-2015 at 10:09 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benphyr For This Useful Post:
bikeprof (03-23-2015), Cd (04-01-2015)