View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
You guys tried to beat me up over the weight issue last weekend. I only stressed weight because it looked to me that everyone already had a handle on aero enhancements.
That may have been more a response to the tone used while stressing your points. Remember the "aero crap"?

Quote:
I was just trying to give some cheap and in most cases free ways to improve mpg. Most people I know only drive short city cycles where extreme aero-mods are not practical and stop and go eats into their economy. I just thought there needed to be a little balance.
Fair enough, and valid too. The people here doing aero mods are aware that aero won't help at very low average speeds. basjoos does primarily highway commuting in his Aerocivic - the benefit of aero in his case is demonstrated in his fuel log.

Another point to consider... it's much harder for the average DIY efficiency enthusiast to improve urban efficiency through weight reduction than it is for that same person to improve highway efficiency through aero mods (if that's the type of driving they primarily do).

How much weight can be realistically taken out of an existing car?

FYI, currently I have about 100 lbs stripped from my 1830 lbs (stock) Metro, which the EPA tells me is worth about a 2% improvement in fuel economy. But that 100 lbs reduction is extreme: it means just 1 seat in the car, and no spare tire!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget