View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
[QUOTE=Sven7;473271Another option would be to get a low-flow shower head and set it on the "eco" setting- it will use less (hot) water. I'm trying to get this done but the end of the L pipe that comes out of the wall won't unscrew.

You push a button on the wall, wait a minute, and when you turn on the faucet/shower, hot water comes out. Unfortunately I imagine it would be a money- and time-consuming thing to retrofit.[/QUOTE]

The reality is hot water takes a certain number of BTUs to heat and a certain number to maintain.

We have full control over the maintain part which is small in terms of cost (timer or intervention)

Only things left are the number of gallons of usage and the efficiency of the water heater.

So a good low flow shower head, even an expensive one that pressurizes with air is well worth it because the single biggest expense is heating water you use. (that literally goes down the drain.)

If you enjoy a hot shower you will find that if you decrease the flow of water (but increase pressure) you will want the water temperature higher. (ask me how I know)
This will increase standby losses but they are very small compared to the cost of heating water down the drain so saving water always trumps temperature.

I don't mind a hot shower on occasion but I treat my hot water heater as something I turn on when I am going to be using it (thanx frank) But day to day, unless I am cold, sick or in the mood a luke warm shower is fine.

In the case of just increasing the water temperature to save hot water this will decrease the amount of hot water used but the cost of heating it is higher and the losses in the hot water pipes become much higher. (also you will have to adjust the temperature as you shower because it will take much longer for the hot water pipes to get up to the full temp) So you will end up spending more but you won't run out of hot water as easily.

Insulation is still very cheap, very worthwhile to insulate the pipes going up to your shower properly and obviously the water heater, this will save money, water and make it take less time to get hot water to the shower. A win win win in my mind.

As for me, I can tolerate lukewarm water 95% of the time but do enjoy a hot shower in the dead of winter, since I can adjust the temperature I will just modulate it when I'm in the mood, I also am going to insulate (R19 on tanks and R6 on pipes) and install a more expensive than normal low flow shower head.

I have a feeling that Iexpedite would benefit from a 70%+ efficient gas water heater but would have to watch payback quickly, plain and simple if you use a lot of hot water you will get a lot more payback, even in the case of my parents its is about $70 a month (and they aren't even that high of useage people) going from the base heater to an 81% EFF condensing model but that is still a payback of 10+ years for them but not if you live outside the midwest and use a lot of water.

Likewise he would GREATLY benefit from a heat exchanger that heats the incoming water, this could easily cut 20% off his bill but he would have to be crafty and build it himself.

Good Luck, I have my solution
Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (03-30-2015)