View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #73 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledthejams View Post
Older SAABs had a freewheeling feature, because they came with two-stroke engines (I forget precisely why, but you can't engine brake with a two-stroke). They even carried it over into some of the early four-stroke 96's
commonly called a sprag... the 2 speed Lenco race transmission i had apart uses them, it looked remarkably like a bicycle freewheel, albiet on steroids. You can get sprags for different torque ratings, maybe even salvage one from and automatic transmission torque converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledthejams View Post
As for those decrying the frontal area of a VW front beam: those cars are really, really small compared to anything modern...I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's only 50" or so...
I have removed as much as 4" from a VW beam, minus 6" has been done, the baja guys add width. Neither is a problem for any half-decent fabricator. I see no reason you couldn't get any track width you wanted.

I used to work with a real good welder/fabricator, who tinkered with buggys and sandrails. Notoriously frugal, kinda lazy, inovative and avid recycler by neccesity, and driven by outstanding craftsmenship, Frank always amazes me. With a need, a clean sheet of paper and an imagination, almost anything is possible.