Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 02:31 AM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Economy Saturn - '02 Saturn L200
I am thinking metro 3 cyl + samurai 5 speed rwd kit car.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledthejams View Post
Old VW front beam (for simplicity), and the rear half of a motorcycle-- a reverse trike. Small, seats two, handles like it's on rails, and still reasonably efficient, without the terror of an actual motorcycle. A teardrop-shaped body for minimum drag would be relatively easy, without being overly-long.
Quote:
I'd go trike for ease of passing a license inspection. And other reasons..
that's what I was thinking... although by strict definition, a three wheeler isn't really a car.

One of those Diesel motorcyles being built in Riverside, CA for the military would make a great backhalf, an aircooled VW front beam for simplicity, but use an aftermarket sandrail aluminum version to reduce weight. Then just whip up a body
Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Older SAABs had a freewheeling feature, because they came with two-stroke engines (I forget precisely why, but you can't engine brake with a two-stroke). They even carried it over into some of the early four-stroke 96's
commonly called a sprag... the 2 speed Lenco race transmission i had apart uses them, it looked remarkably like a bicycle freewheel, albiet on steroids. You can get sprags for different torque ratings, maybe even salvage one from and automatic transmission torque converter.

Quote:
As for those decrying the frontal area of a VW front beam: those cars are really, really small compared to anything modern...I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's only 50" or so...
I have removed as much as 4" from a VW beam, minus 6" has been done, the baja guys add width. Neither is a problem for any half-decent fabricator. I see no reason you couldn't get any track width you wanted.

I used to work with a real good welder/fabricator, who tinkered with buggys and sandrails. Notoriously frugal, kinda lazy, inovative and avid recycler by neccesity, and driven by outstanding craftsmenship, Frank always amazes me. With a need, a clean sheet of paper and an imagination, almost anything is possible.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #74 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
I told my wife that I want one car with really great MPG, and one with really BAD MPG. If I were building it I would have both.

The body would be the Dodge Interceptor from the 80's classic The Wraith. With the flip of a switch the engine (rear) and trans would "let go" and drop onto a dolly. It would have two engines that could swap out in one or two minutes. One with 50-100 HP and the other with 500-1000 HP.

Impossible? I agree.... But a cool dream
Old 07-24-2008, 11:44 PM   #75 (permalink)
Ecoformance Engineer

EJ7 - '96 honda civic Hx
Last 3: 58.02 mpg (US)
I'm itching to start mine soon. I have a small window of two weeks before school starts up again to get the hard stuff done.

And I just wanna rep aircooled vw parts again, they are amazing and well engineered. I have quite a bit of experience with them also, i included a pic of two of my other projects

I just finished helping my buddy turbo his 79 Rabbit so my weekends are free again. And if anyone cares the Rabbit came out amazing, Garrett GT17 turbo modded with 3" v-band, full custom stainless manifold, custom v-banded 3" stainless downpipe and exhaust, Dodge SRT-4 intercooler with modded dual backdoor endtanks, custom charge pipes all bead rolled. Start to finish in 4 days.

i love crazy projects

70 mpg or die modding

www.full-race.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
looking forward to seeing what kind of uber-sipper slinks out of the full race skunkworks.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:49 AM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post
that's what I was thinking... although by strict definition, a three wheeler isn't really a car.

One of those Diesel motorcyles being built in Riverside, CA for the military would make a great backhalf, an aircooled VW front beam for simplicity, but use an aftermarket sandrail aluminum version to reduce weight. Then just whip up a body
Hi there

Someone has done similar in the UK using a 2cv for the basis :-

Tryane II

A 2cv does have a chassis be he bolted all the 2cv bits to a wooden chassis/monocoque similar to a Marcos so it would weight less than 450kg [ 900 lb ] then it would be in the cheapest road tax group.

regards Paul
Old 08-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
I was surprised to find that my gasoline pickup got better highway mpg than a Diesel Rabbit at interstate speeds.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Two wheels and one cylinder in front, driver and passenger bobsled style, external luggage with passenger, RWD. All wheels within bodywork, very light, but with great ride and handling. Bored? see Car Cycle
Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
A couple of people mentioned that we could reduce rolling resistance with fewer wheels. Actually, tire drag is almost linear with load, so the advantage comes in from reduced wind resistance and the slightly lower weight made possible by not subdividing the load paths. In practise, use of available wheels, etc, will almost always affect the weight by more than might be saved by this technique.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #80 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
...or better yet, this

(from the same web page as the above post)

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Reply  Post New Thread