View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iexpedite View Post
I estimate my electric hot water usage costs $30. per month.

For heat I purchased a Kerosene heater and a sealed drum of Kerosene (21 days). I have a camp stove/propane grill/propane buddy heater/propane burner/lanterns and 100 hour emergency candles to round out the cold weather survival plan. Other than heating water on a burner and dumping it into a tub, I have no good way of heating water for bathing.
Interesting you are on the very low end of normal for electric heating, with electric you can fully control your hot water on a timer for little of anything.

And yes on electric and relatively low use it takes forever to pay back (7-15 years)

But a timer pays back right away, because you likely don't need water to be as hot for general dish and cleaning use so you can leave the thing off during those times and still have warm water.

Also a water exchanger would make you run out of hot water less often because fewer BTUS are required to heat the water meaning your water heater would get it up to snuff faster. (also your water heating system COEFFICIENT would improve a fair amount)

Ah well, you are already pretty efficient.

Good Luck
Ryan