View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #261 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I wondered about an oilpan swap briefly, but didn't have time for the research and sourcing, given it's my DD.

On th mods you asked about... some are great by themselves, others are great because of how they interact with hypermiling. first on my list of three: the transmission swap was great for steady cruise at speeds like 45 or 50 mph up to 65mph. But the second of te three best, the injector kill switch is great because of how it helps hypermiling (saving ignition switch wear and making engine cut off safer and easier and therefore ore frequent). The last great one was the power steering delete, because it is stealth, and the PS is not needed on this little 2000 lb car. It was a dealer add-on.

Also highly effective and cheap:
airdam, grill blocking (with ducted opening to radiator), and radical weight reduction (weight reduction might equal as muc as an mpg per 100lbs in a little car like this and I took out more than 200 lbs).

Stuff that was good but that I paid for: Michelin Defender LRR tires and my VX 9.7 lbs wheels. I bought the wheels three or four years ago, with Harmonys on them and used up the tires. when I HAD to replace them, I paid for Defenders.

When you go shopping for LRR tires, compare UTQG ratings as well as price (use tirerack.com). The 13" Defenders have a great "820" rating so even at $324 for the set they compare well with Kumho cheapos tat sell for $188 but have a UTQG rating of 460. You have to buy twice as many Kumhos (and pay to mount them and such).

I also like my WAI, though it's FE benefit is probably small.

Oh, an my alternator on/off switch, which means I can charge the battery only in breaking events or when I need range (I plug my deep-cycle batt in at night).

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.