View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamZipPow View Post
Probably from all the metall hardware...
I was thinking that between the added weight, the added stuff sticking into the wind in the mounting hardware, and the minimal coverage, those little skirts probably aren't helping much.

Parabellum, filling in the main triangle of your bike's frame is a good idea for minimal investment, just to feel how it might improve things. That is, unless you want to retain your water bottle mount. Or that's where some people clip a battery for a headlight.

Based on my limited experience of a stationary bike vs. my vast experience on actual bikes, try not to limit your exposure to moving air too much. If you build a fairing to cover most of yourself and the bike, leave a couple of ducts open here and there to provide a breeze on you. Even at modest rates of exercise you'll build up a lot of heat and if you don't have any airflow, you'll be pretty overheated pretty quickly.

One flow of air directed toward your chest and another at your groin will make a big difference in your overall comfort level, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-15-2015), Grant-53 (04-15-2015)