View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #1795 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Tried to find some specs on that part number but found nothing? Had a look at the incremental encoders on the Hohner web site and all the ones i saw had both normal and inverted A B signals. How many pins/wires are there on your encoder?
Round connector, 11 pins, pinout is on a label on the side

Quote:
Is the 9v to 24v supply requirement listed on the device? Maybe try it with 5v and see if it reduces the output voltages or just outputs nothing.
Good idea. No signal at 5V.

Quote:
Maybe post a picture of the encoder and any labelling on the device. Might be something one of the Ecomodders recognises.
I'll post pictures with tomorrow's post.

Quote:
Were the 10v levels from the resistor divider you described above or unloaded directly from the encoder outputs?
10V when supplied with 12.4V from a battery, output loaded with the resistors (20K + 5K). It may be 10.1V, but definitely less than supply voltage.

I disconnected the resistor divider and checked things out. The unloaded signals are about the same - maybe 10.2V(the scope is not a good scope, and it's tough to tell exact voltages.)

I moved the scope probe on channel A to channel B ... and it showed B channel as positive!

WTF? ... would you believe that I have the invert pulled on B channel? ...

Yikes. So when I push the DARNED knob back in .. all is well! So I have a normal signal, not some magical inverted signal.

Onward - check that the voltage across the 5K resistor, make sure it is less than 5V, then connect the signal up to the controller
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
Astro (04-16-2015)