View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92civicvx View Post
Thanks. Ya I have a mpguino just not hooked up yet. I hate wiring haha. As for a vacuum gauge waiting on my friend to bring a dual a-pillar gauge to work so I can see if it'll fit. Will have battery voltage and vacuum gauges installed. Also going to install a hand throttle, just need to pick up the kit from farm and fleet. Would love to have "cruise control" considering I go on a few road trips every summer to Missouri and tennesse.
That sounds awesome. I missed the MPGuino mention, but I am glad to learn you're also after the vacuum gauge. One of the best hypermiling strategies are the "P&G" and "EOC" ... you accelerate at about 75% or maybe 80% load (vacuum gauge guided) and then cut the engine off at a pre-determined speed (injector cut off switch) then you gide back down 10 or 15 mph, clutch start gently and start the acceleration process again.

The gauges will pay for themselves in a few tanks--a few weeks or a few months. It's the most effective strategy, including better than most mods.

Some of us are more devoted to it as a standard strategy than others. With my car I use it heavily in city driving or freeway traffic. On good open road I cut the engine less often and do a lot more steady cruising, because I have the same super-tall gearing you have in your transmission (I swapped).

Looking foward to your progress.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.