View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #112 (permalink)
2000neon
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
This looks like a really cool build. I love the idea and I think that it should be an exciting car to drive. As long as you can keep the revs up this should not only provide great mpg but even do quite well on an autocross (until classing comes in to play). I haven't been active here in a while so I missed this thread until now, but I can't wait to see it finalized. Looks great.

My only question is about the mounting for your torque arm/ 3rd link mount at the diff. I can't say for sure but I am instinctively worried about the bracket bolted through the cast diff housing. Despite there being plenty of material there, the nature of cast iron leaves it quite brittle and prone to cracking under stress, shear forces or shock. I really hope that I'm over thinking it but I'm picturing the possibility of the lateral forces transferred across it could lead to a crack between the 2 bolts. Which in turn could have some disastrous results. I've broken a couple of iron castings and often there is zero signs of weakness or cracking, until instant and complete failure.

I hope that this doesn't come out as sounding like I'm bashing you, just trying to point out something to consider.

The Following User Says Thank You to 2000neon For This Useful Post:
cosmick (04-28-2015)