View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
jetto-setto
EcoModding Lurker

Fit - '15 Honda Fit EX
90 day: 35.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Belated welcome to the forum! Congrats on the Fit - I bet it's fun to drive.

Also, a well-driven manual should spank even the higher rated CVT in city/combined driving.

Need more info there!

I find city eco-driving/hypermiling way more interesting because you can dramatically improve your fuel economy while keeping the same average speed as an inefficient driving style.

And it's far more engaging.

Out on the highway, the major fuel saving technique for most drivers is speed reduction. (Or drafting, but I won't do that for many reasons.)

Admittedly I'm pretty new to fuel-efficient driving so my lack of enjoyment trying to improve my fuel economy in the city may be the result of just not knowing how to go about it. Generally I accelerate quickly to my cruising speed and then cruise in the highest gear possible for the situation. That said, the best I can get in this car (rated 29mpg city) is probably 32 - avoiding all drive-thrus of course.
Before the oil change, I wasn't getting more than 29.

You're right about the highway. It's generally boring, but then again I don't try to have real fun on the highway anyway - cruising along at 80mph isn't really any more fun than cruising at 70-75. I just adjust my speed to try to keep it in the 45mpg range on the little fuel efficiency indicator in the car and figure that's probably the best I can do without doing anything dumb like drafting or turning the car off.