View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Wow.

Also wow: asking $9k.

Here's the text of the ad, for posterity (because that link is going to die when the ad expires)...

Quote:
1992 Honda Civic Vx
Tahitian Green Pearl Exterior (it's actually Blue)
Grey Cloth Interior
67,300 Miles
5-Speed Manual
Zero Rust
Completely Stock (except the stereo, but stock head unit is available)
Working Factory Air Conditioning
Excellent Vx Wheels
Rear Hatch Cover
Factory Clock
All exterior Vx trim intact
Colorado / California Car -- Colorado originated Emissions, 5-Wire Oxygen Sensor emissions = better fuel economy.

This is the cleanest, lowest mileage Honda Civic Vx in the country. Between my brother and I we have had three low mileage Civic Vx's. This one is by far the nicest. It has 67,300 documented original miles, and comes in the highly sought after 1992 specific stock color Tahitian Green Pearl (more blue than green). It is a two-owner car that started in Colorado, went to Southern California, and now it's back in Colorado. The first owner was a pastor who sold it in 2001 to a Honda enthusiast who also owns an Acura NSX. He took it to California in 2005 and drove it sparingly. The second owner lived in a zip code in San Diego County that did not require emissions testing after the initial test (which it passed), so 2005 is the last entry in the Carfax at just over 33,000 miles. The title is clean, no accidents or damage. If you are a Vx fanatic and follow the market you probably recognize this car. Below is a full description and what I have done to it.

1992 was the best year for the Honda Civic VX as it was the lightest and the Tahitian Green Pearl was a one-year only color run. This VX comes with original factory A/C (an option not many paid for in 1992) that blows ice cold. It also has the original rear hatch privacy screen (which they never have), the original clock (an extremely rare factory option), and intermittent wipers (the only post factory option, which was done by Honda and is from an EG generation Civic DX)!

Exterior: The condition of the car is excellent. It has zero rust. I have included pictures of the underside. The car came to me with tint, which I had professionally removed. The paint is very nice. It has a few typical rock chips on the hood. There is a little road rash on the bumpers, but nothing bad, the worst in on the left rear. There is a small clear coat spot peeling on the roof just behind the driver's door. The black trim and plastic work is all present and intact. The Vx specific front splitter and fog light blanks are fuel saving design features and present on this car, the splitter is often missing and they are hard to come by. The Vx specific wheels are another fuel saving design; they are super light to reduce unsprung weight. I spent hours carefully removing brake dust deposits and restoring them to excellent condition.

Interior: The interior is fantastic. It shows the time capsule nature of this Vx and the tint, which I had removed, saved the interior. There are no rips, tears, or smells. It has never been smoked in. The cloth seats are in excellent shape. The seat bolsters are not worn or torn. The headliner is not sagging in the front like so many do. The steering wheel rubber is firm, not loose like many high-mileage Honda's. The factory spare tire, jack, and lug wrench are present. The early Vx lightweight rear cargo floor is not caved in. The rear hatch window struts have been replaced with Honda units and are firm. The Kenwood stereo is a period correct and sounds great, but we have a stock Vx head unit available. All functions work correctly as they should. There is a piece of tape on the bottom of the driver's side door panel that I assume the previous owner put there to secure a broken tap (see pics).

Mechanical: Mechanically this car needs nothing. On my inspection I couldn't find much to do. I gave it an oil change and spark plugs using OEM Honda parts. The D15Z1 engine with VTEC-E does everything it is supposed to. Once warmed up it drops into low idle and lean burn sips fuel below 2500 RPM's. A 2500 RPM's the VTEC-E kicks in and it pulls strong all the way to redline, stronger than any of our other Vx's. The clutch does not slip. The brakes are good. There are no driveline or wheel bearing vibrations. The suspension bushings are solid, not worn or dry rotted (see pics from below). The exhaust is not rusty. The Kumho Solus tires have greater than 50% tread left.

If you are a Vx fanatic and follow the market, you probably recognize this car. We bought it on eBay in March as a keeper, but have since needed to devote funds for other projects, hence our reason for selling. Seeing and driving it in person, it is every bit as good as it looks. I can't wait to see the enthusiasm of whoever gets this car. After shipping it to Colorado, I did extensive detailing and PDR work to the exterior, removed the tint, and gave it a basic tune up. It is a turn-key car. I would argue a Civic Vx this clean is more rare than a low mileage Acura NSX. Good luck finding another one this nice, because you won't. Here is your chance.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Xist (05-06-2015)