View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 06:53 AM   #49 (permalink)
bentring
EcoModding Lurker

Stream - '16 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 33.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler kid View Post

You're good it just seemed like a rushed decision, pushing 60 years old I'm sure I won't care what I drive
Sometimes, but certainly not always, spur of the moment gut decisions are the best decisions. Story time! I had been researching and pricing used diesel trucks for literally three months and hadn't seriously considered a car at all. I had 4 different trucks sold after I inquired about them, but before I could make the trip (from 6 to 18 hours away to give an idea about how picky I was being) to look at them in person.

I was doing my daily Craigslist and local dealer search when I saw Vera Lynn at the dealership the wife got her Pathfinder from last year. I did about 4 hours of research and comparisons, and ended up driving the car home 3 hours later. The new car price with a 100k mile warranty was less than all but one of the trucks (and all had >120k on the odometer) I would have bought had they not gotten sold. It will be an inconvenience maybe two or three days a month working out of a car instead of a truck, but it's more than worth it compared to the money I expect to save from the difference in purchase price and ownership costs. Not to mention the car is more fun to drive than a truck anyway.

And not trying to be rude, but some of us don't care what we drive when we're only halfway to 60. Possessions don't make the person; the thoughts, words, and actions do.