View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
18,000 miles in 3 months, assuming your getting paid IRS minimum of something like $0.50 a mile, that's $9,000, if you keep that up for 6 months it'd cover a brand new Mirage, and have lower operating cost than most bikes and scooters.
I'm not paid per mile, but per delivery. I average more than that minimum, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
In Ohio there is snow and cold six months of the year. This could require snow tires or dual sport treads. A liquid cooled engine would allow for a heater core inside a fairing.
I've ridden in snow without, though having a car now, I might opt to take that when the weather is rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
No wonder some small motorcycles targetted to under-developed markets have chain covers, so the chains wouldn't collect residues when properly lubed.
Yeah, why can't I find those here without stepping into a fabrication shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Again you have apparently never really read up on how the DrPulley sliders work to increase gear ratio on both ends. Engineering genius, where each surface dimension is optimized to do it's specific job. Unlike a round roller. Very cool design. I wish i had thought of it. And they last forever.
Oh, I did look into those when I had my Burgman, but they can only do what the pulleys themselves will allow, nothing more.

To clarify: the sliders don't control the min/max ratios. The pulley sizes and angles do. The sliders control where in the overall ratio range the transmission is at any given moment. Stock sliders can tend to "downshift" at very high speeds, limiting top speed and increasing revs at high cruising speeds, while the Dr. Pulley's force the CVT to stay in it's top ratio once spun up. This gives the illusion of a ratio change, without actually changing the ratios.

Last edited by The Atomic Ass; 05-12-2015 at 04:40 PM..