View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #40 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Well I took a camping trip with the camper basically stock, 212 miles total up into the mountains, ran it from 55-65 mph (with some slower corners and 20 of the miles just across town and back), no traffic on a Tuesday/Wednesday and I averaged exactly 14mpg after refilling. I would normally be pretty happy with that as this is the best I have ever got towing anything except a Jetski behind my Subaru, but Now I want more. I may do some shorter runs just down the highway locally for 5 miles and see what the torque pro says the level, steady state 65 mph mpg is.

Now I'm ready to try a few aero/utility mods. I think I'm settled on a 2' long tail extension for storage and aero using unistrut and plywood covered with titebond II soaked fabric for the lower box to put stuff in with 2' high sides, with the top 1/2 built out of lightweight foam panels over 1/2" conduit covered with resin. Then the top part can raise with the factory hydraulic lifting top exposing the storage space under but otherwise keep water and prying eyes out of what is in there.

The front corners I plan on some 6" galvanized ductwork opened up into 12" 1/2 rounds to try and fake a radius front corner that really takes a hit from the wind coming off the sides of the tow vehicle (the camper is about a foot overall wider then the truck). There was some rain spray on the way home and you could see it really pushing out on the sides of the camper.

I also have a Styrofoam ball to cut in 1/2 for the front of the awning, and a Styrofoam cone for the rear of the awning. Might also add some Styrofoam wedges behind the roof vents.

Been looking for some free coroplast to try and skin the belly as well.

Also looking for some free time that I don't just say screw it and go fishing again!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-15-2015), BamZipPow (05-15-2015)