View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 01:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler kid View Post
Ok let's start over again

How many miles do you have on:
Distributor cap
Ignition rotor
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires

Have you tried to use carb cleaner around the intake manifold and hoses to check to see if the rpms change when sprayed on a certain part?

Have you cleaned the idle air control valve lately?
Is the coolant still fresh ?

Do you have any oil leaks around the valve cover

When is the last time you changed the air filter and inspected the throttle body for any dirt or build up

There was a Toyota echo 5 speed idling super low that just had tons of gunk built up on the throttle body the other day.
Here's another crazy deet: for the last two days the car has run quite normally, with longterm fuel trim moving to normal and then slightly rich. It has been raining these last two days.

Looking at your list, the cap, rotor, igniter, and spark plug wires have about 30,000, maybe. Maybe less. The plugs have been fuel fouled and cleaned. I have three sets that rotate in. No oil leaks. Compression is good. Filters are clean. I cleaned the throttle mechanism probably 20,000 miles ago, maybe a bit less. The carb cleaner would be for testing vacuum leaks, yes? I have not done that yet. I also have not cleaned the Idle Air Control Valve... both are good ideas.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 05-16-2015 at 01:25 AM..