View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #276 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Before leaving, I had to bleed my clutch, because the reservoir ran empty. After a bleed and fill, the level didn't drop noticeably over the drive, but I still felt it would be a good idea to replace the master and slave.

In order to access the master cylinder you have to take the wheel off. It's hidden above the wheel in the well, behind the plastic fender guard. Removal is done by removing the reservoir hose (and catching the fluid), removing the hydraulic line, unclipping a pin where it attaches to the pedal, and removal of two nuts (14mm?) that hold it in place.

I went with Honda parts, because RockAuto wasn't significantly cheaper. Total cost was around $150.

The slave cylinder is next to the the throttle body, and needs the plastic cover removed that obscures the throttle pulley. Since I had installed cruise control, this was already off and the slave was accessible from above with a long extension, with only the breather tube removed.

The slave cylinder has a piston with a ball at the end which pushes on a lever with a depression on it for the ball, that in turn disengages the clutch. When installing, make sure the ball is in the depression on the lever, then bolt it in place.

Bleeding is not a two man job if you have a small plastic tube that fits on the end of the bleeder bolt. I went ahead and bleed the brake lines too, while I was at it.

Total time needed: 30-60 minutes