View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
bgd73 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd73 View Post
if you can't hack your tranny, the concept of "dubs" wheels cramming the wheel wells full is a decent option, or just bigger wheels and tire. Taller rubbers on little wheels actually hurt more than gain. It is a tall tire tale (haha). Most well disciplined trannies have non-straight gear and change quite dynamically to this one simple move.
I can use my own example of a old subaru, 15 inch wheels were difficult to find, but ,anyway, it came with tiny 13 inch wheel tires (23.2 inch diam). The same rpm, given the japanese wonder tranny, does 80 instead of 65 with 25inch diam..engine runs out of power first. This also increases safety, a thought for you tall gear swappers and low tire ratings. Seems the saturn went to a higher ratio for a reason.Alot of times, more than not, higher ratios OEM mean a weakness someplace, even though engine has enough power to go much taller geared. I learned the hard way...
Are the wheels the same as the saturn with tall gears as the one getting the swap?
I don't understand your question, but here is my context. The transmission is identical except for the fifth gear. This gear was designed with the lower HP SOHC engine in mind. My DOHC has a different BSFC map than the SOHC :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/15008-post4.html - Post #4

I don't have the BSFC map for the SOHC. I should find it. However, even if I did find it, I wouldn't know how to interpret the differences, .

In terms of safety, under an emergency, I would have to downshift to a lower gear no matter which 5th gear I have, so I don't consider it to be a critical issue.

My current tires are one-size-up from stock :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ires-2642.html

I think the thing to keep in mind regarding tires is that I am *not* doing the Dub thing. I consider the Dub thing to be an aesthetic choice that consciously sacrifices safety/engineering for the sake of style. By going "one size up" on my tires, I think I am pushing one design parameter in my car "by one notch". I don't consider this to be a drastic change.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society